Call Us Today




How to File a Medical Malpractice Claim

How to File a Medical Malpractice Claim

medical malpractice claim

Medical malpractice occurs when a health care professional causes harm or injury to a patient through a negligent act or omission. Failure to diagnose, treat, or provide adequate aftercare can all be used to prove negligence and validate your medical malpractice claim. If you or a loved one has experienced medical malpractice, here’s what you should do:

First and foremost, be sure that your claim has the characteristics to be qualified as such under the law. Any claim that pertains to violation of care, injury caused by negligence, or injury that results in serious damage are all situations where a medical malpractice claim should be pursued. There are also a plethora of other prerequisites that you should be aware of prior to filing the claim. Be sure to do adequate research of these requirements prior to filing a claim.

Find an Attorney to Help File Your Medical Malpractice Claim

It is important to speak with an experienced medical malpractice lawyer as soon as possible. You want to be certain that you file this claim within its statute of limitations. While some are lenient on the statute of limitations, others are very strict and adhere to the rules precisely. In Tennessee, you must have your claim filed within one year of the day the injury occurred. Your lawyer will be able to inform you on what the statute of limitations is for your specific state, as well as ensuring your case is filed in a prompt manner.

Keep Medical Records

Be sure to obtain all medical records from the alleged incident. Records provide clear evidence in your medical malpractice claim. Evidence can be a huge deciding factor in your case. As your attorney looks over your medical records from the incident, they can then better advise you on if you have a high success rate for your case.


For an experienced medical malpractice attorney in Tennessee, Arkansas or Mississippi contact The Cochran Firm Mid South at 901-523-1222 for a free consultation.