Chances are, you’ve had at least one frightening encounter or near-accident with an 18-wheeler while driving on a highway or interstate. Car-truck collisions can be especially devastating because of the sheer size and weight of the truck and, subsequently, the amount of time it takes a big rig to stop. Here are some common causes of car-truck accidents to consider.
Either driver can cause a car-truck accidents. Here are common reasons truck drivers may be at fault:
- Driver fatigue, driving long distances with little sleep
- Mechanical issues and/or poor maintenance of the truck
- Distracted driving, i.e. talking, texting, eating, using the phone, or changing the radio station
- Alcohol and drug abuse
- Lack of or poor driver training
And here are reasons that passenger vehicle drivers often cause collisions:
- Driving in the truck’s “blind spot”
- Driving between two big trucks
- Unsafe passing
- Changing lanes or merging into traffic in front of a truck
If you’re ever involved in a car-truck accident, you may be entitled to compensation if the truck driver was a fault. Get the legal representation you need to take on the trucking company. Call The Cochran Law Firm of the Mid-South at 901-523-1222 for a free case consultation.