Premises liability refers to when a person is injured on someone else’s property. Property owners are required to provide a safe and adequate property and if they fail to do so it can result in a premise liability claim. Frequently, a personal injury case is filed on the allegation that the property owner was negligent, causing injury. A few of the common premises liability cases include:

  • Slip and Fall Accidents
  • Negligent or Inadequate Security
  • Animal Bites
  • Children on Property
  • Swimming Pool Injury
  • Amusement Park Incidents
  • Water leaks or flooding

It is important to know that just because you were injured on someone’s property does not mean that the property owner was negligent. There has to be proof that the owner knew or should have known of the issue on their property. Different states follow different protocol on who can reclaim premise liability and under what circumstances.

Different Types of Visitors

All visitors are broken down into three categories. Invitee is someone on the property who has general permission to be on a property for commercial use. These are typically public places such as malls and grocery stores. The property owner is responsible for being aware of liabilities on the property and maintaining them to a safe standard. A licensee is someone who comes onto the property as a guest of the property owner. A trespasser is someone who is not invited or allowed to be on the property. The owner is not liable to forewarn about any liabilities on their property in this situation and has the right to openly harm the trespasser.

Limitations of Premises Liability 

There is a statute of limitations to premise liability cases. If the person who was injured is partially or fully responsible for their injury they may seem reduced compensation or none at all for the incident.

If you or a loved one has been injured from a slip and fall accident, you may be entitled to compensation. Contact the premises liability attorneys at The Cochran Firm of the Mid-South today at 901-523-1222 for a free case evaluation.